Saturday, April 27, 2013

How to move past failure and change for the better

I have heard those words a thousand times. I just can't do it. I have tried everything. It is too hard.
Change is not easy, and failure is a hard pill to swallow, but every day comes with a new opportunity. It is up to us to wake up and realize that we don't have to be the same person that we were yesterday. Take a shower and wash all of those previous failures down the drain. They are over. There is no time machine that will allow us to change our history. All we can to is move on. So how do we break the cycle of failure? It's easy. We start with realistic goals, make gradual changes, and forgive ourselves when we make a mistake. I am like the rest of you. I hear that inner voice that tells me to lose a few pounds. That same voice that belittles me when I have that extra piece of cheesecake for dessert. In order to make progress, you have to defeat that voice; that inner bitch that makes you feel like a failure. Instead of focusing on that voice, focus all of your energy and thought on the good decisions that you are making. Make a physical list if you need to, or just spend a minute with your eyes closed, picturing those positive moments from your day. These do not have to be big things, like losing 20 pounds. Start small, make goals, and write them down.  Make them measurable, so that you know when you have met your goal.

 Instead of I will drink less soda say, I will drink less than 3 soda's per week.

Instead of I will eat healthier say, I will eat a vegetable with every meal

Instead of, I  will exercise more, say, I will spend fifteen minutes of my lunch break walking each day.



These goals do not have to be about diet or exercise. Maybe you are a workaholic like me. You work like crazy, go to school, run a household, and never seem to slow down.  Well your goal might be to spend one hour each week doing something for yourself. It could be taking a walk, a bath, reading a book, or meditating. Choose something that works for you.

Each time you meet a goal that is proof that you CAN do it. You will feel better and stronger, and will gain self-esteem.

Keep a list of your successes and look at it when you slip up. Remind yourself that one slip cannot take away what you have accomplished. Share your successes with others. Share them with me.

Wake up tomorrow and make use of your opportunity for change. Life is a gift , so don't waste it by standing in your own way.


No comments:

Post a Comment