Thursday, May 2, 2013

Healthy substitutions: Fruits and Veggies.

Spring has sprung which means the prices for fruits and veggies are on the decline.  About a year ago I decided to start loading up on fruits and veggies to see if it really made a difference. It was the best decision I ever made. I eat at least two servings of vegetables with dinner, and at least on vegetable and one or two fruits with lunch. They fill me up so I eat less of everything else, and if I feel hungry again, I just grab another fruit or vegetable. Fresh veggies are the best, and frozen are the next best thing. Canned vegetables are still a lot better than tons of other foods that you could be eating, so do what you can on your budget.
Mix veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms) into your pasta sauce. Cook them on the grill with your meats. Instead of making mashed or baked potatoes for dinner try cutting up some small red or white potatoes and mixing them with carrots, onion, mushrooms, squash, or any other veggies that you like. Throw them on a cookie sheet that has coated lightly in cooking spray. Add a little salt, pepper, garlic and/or basil. Let them cook until the potatoes start to brown. These are delicious.

Grab fruit for a snack or set a bowl of sliced fruit out at meal time. Watermelon is a very healthy snack and is in abundance this time of year. If you make healthy choices readily availably you will be much less likely to binge on junk food.


Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment